It’s very simple.
Check your smoke detectors.
Let the recent spate of home fires in Oregon and Washington remind you to take this one simple step for the safety of your home and family.
- A Milwaukie family lost everything in a fire that decimated their home. The Clackamas fire department said the family’s lives were saved because of working smoke alarms.
- A Portland home was saved when a neighbor heard a fire alarm go off and called 9-1-1.
- Faulty wiring started a fire in Vancouver, Washington: a sleeping baby and grandmother were saved by a newly-installed smoke alarm.
- In Jackson County, Oregon, a fire roared through a home in a matter of minutes. The woman who lived there heard the smoke detector, and escaped safely.
- In a similar situation in Medford last year, the fire department said working smoking detectors saved a woman’s life – and noted that several recent fires in the Rogue Valley have not set off smoke detectors because of dead batteries.
Smoke detectors can’t prevent a fire from damaging your home and property, but they will more than double your chance of surviving a fire. Learn more at the Oregon Office of the Fire Marshal.